Johns Hopkins University is committed to helping faculty and staff members balance work life and family responsibilities through various family leave policies. For births or adoptions of children under age 12 occurring on or after July 1, 2017, the Parental Leave Policy will provide faculty and staff with paid time off for activities related to the care and well-being of their newborn or newly adopted child.
Full-time and part-time faculty, visiting faculty, staff and bargaining unit employees who have been employed in an eligible status with continuous service for at least one year at the time of birth or placement of a child under age 12 for adoption are eligible for Parental Leave. Limited and casual faculty and staff are not eligible.
Graduate students and postdoctoral trainees are not covered under this policy, and should consult the New Child Accommodations for Full-Time Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Trainees Policy for information on family leave benefits.
About the Program
Parents who meet the eligibility requirement for faculty, staff or bargaining unit are entitled to four weeks of fully paid Parental Leave. Parental Leave covers birth mothers, fathers, same-sex spouses/partners, adoptive parents of children under age 12 and parents of children born via surrogate. This leave can be can be taken in consecutive blocks of time or intermittently (in full-day increments only) within the first 12 months after the birth of a child or placement of an adopted child, based on a schedule that is prearranged with your supervisor. For eligible birth mothers, Parental Leave will begin after Birth Recovery Leave has been exhausted. Parental Leave must run concurrently with the 12-weeks of job protection under FML, if still available to the employee.
View the Family Leave for New Parents Policy for more information.
How to Request
As a birth mother, father, same-sex spouse/partner, adoptive parent or surrogate parent, here are the steps to apply for this leave:
- Contact your supervisor or HR Business Partner to request Family and Medical Leave.
- Contact Lincoln Financial Group, the plan administrator for the university at 888-246-4483, to request Parental Leave.
- You will receive a packet of information from your JHU HR Business Partner concerning your eligibility for FML. Return the completed paperwork to Central HR as directed in the packet.
- You will be notified by Central HR of your eligibility for FML.
- Discuss with your supervisor and agree to a plan for taking continuous or intermittent leave.