Short-Term Disability

Short-Term Disability insurance provides income protection if you are unable to work due to illness, injury, or other disability.


Full-time faculty, staff and bargaining unit employees have the opportunity to purchase Short-Term Disability insurance upon hire or becoming newly benefits eligible. You may elect or drop Short-Term Disability coverage during annual enrollment.

About the Program

Short-Term Disability benefits begin after the 14th consecutive day of illness and continue for up to 11 weeks provided you remain disabled and unable to work. The plan will pay 60% of your weekly base earnings, not to exceed $2,500 per week, for an eligible absence. Accrued sick and vacation leave must be used to supplement Short-Term Disability. Your benefits may be reduced if you are receiving other disability benefits such as Workers’ Compensation or Social Security.

View the Short-Term Disability Policy for Faculty and Senior Staff and Short-Term Disability Policy for Support Staff and Bargaining Unit for more information.

How to Request

If you need to report a Short-Term Disability, there are several steps you need to follow:

If you have questions regarding your leave of absence and FMLA, please contact your central or departmental HR office.