Family and Medical leave provides eligible employees with at least 12 workweeks of job protected leave in a rolling 12 month period for specified family and medical reasons.
- Birth and Bonding with a newborn child within one year of birth
- Placement of a child for adoption or foster care and to bond with the newly placed child within one year of placement
- Employee’s serious health condition
- Caring for the employee’s spouse, domestic partner, son, daughter, or parent who has a serious health condition
- Any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that an employee’s domestic partner, spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a or call to covered active duty member on covered active duty status
During the leave, the university will continue your group health insurance under the same terms and conditions as if you had not taken the leave. Eligible employees in a leave earning status must first exhaust their leave before being placed on unpaid leave.
How to Request
Here are the steps to apply for Family and Medical Leave:
- Contact your supervisor or HR Business Partner to request Family and Medical Leave.
- You will receive a packet from your JHU HR Business Partner about your eligibility for FML. Have your physician complete the certification form and return it to Central HR as directed in the packet.
- You will be notified by Central HR of your eligibility for FML.