School Age and Educational Resources
Make back-to-school a success! Whatever your back-to-school plan looks like, Care@Work has resources to help. Eligible employees have access to a free Care.com Premium Membership, Backup Care, Expert Assistance, and Nanny Share. Learn more about the benefits available to you here.
Komae is a cooperative child care app that provides a flexible child care management option. Komae enables parents to identify and vet families with similar parenting styles and COVID-19 protocol practice to build their pod for shared childcare and education. Be sure to check out their website and this user guide. To get started, download the app, create your account and join the Hopkins group.
- Welcome to your school away from school. Conquer the school year with free live online classes, personalized 1-on-1 tutoring, and complete learning-at-home solutions with Varsity Tutors. Hopkins employees receive a 20% discount on expert live instruction for students of all ages. Learn more about the tools and resources available to you here.
- Streamline Tutors is a 1-on-1 mentorship group that supports elementary, middle, and high school students. Each student receives a 1-hour cognitive assessment that gives our tutors a deep understanding of your child’s learning strengths, weaknesses, and style, even before their first session. Johns Hopkins employees can take advantage of a $199 discount. Free diagnostics and consultations ($99 value) are always available to the Hopkins community. The additional $100 credit is applied at the start of your child’s curriculum. Upon inquiring, use your Hopkins email address and select Hopkins as your referral source at the bottom of the form. To learn more and enroll, click here.
School@Home by Nanny Network
- eLearning Aides: Connecting online using a Zoom format, eLearning Aides know how to make learning fun through a computer screen. They can help keep your children organized with their school work and on task with their daily assignments, all while building smiles and giggles into the process. This service is best for kids ages 5 and up; recommended session times of 1-2 hours (maximum of 4 hours).
- Private Educators: In-home care providers who possess a strong teaching background and can provide an advanced level of academic support, structure, and consistency to your child’s school year. Many are current or past teachers, tutors, and/or professional nannies, all with a college degree. They can be hired on a temporary or permanent basis. Temporary Private Educators are available for a minimum of 20 hours per week. Families who are interested, can share a Private Educator or create a learning pod (two family maximum).
- Center for Talented Youth: Johns Hopkins CTY is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced pre-college students around the world. In addition to their online offerings, CTY has compiled a list of 100 free at-home learning resources and activities for kids of all ages.
- Johns Hopkins School of Education: as a leader in evidence-based educational policy and practice, the Johns Hopkins School of Education is on the front lines shaping how our profession responds to the challenges. This site is a trove of timely and relevant research, expertise, guidance, and resources to help families, teachers, and district leaders emerge from the crisis stronger than ever.
- IDEALS Institute: the Institute for Innovation in Development, Engagement, and Learning Systems (IDEALS) at the Johns Hopkins School of Education is committed to ensuring everyone has lifelong access to high-quality care and education. The IDEALS staff have compiled a number of resources that they have found personally useful in support children, families, and caregivers during this challenging time.
Please note: Johns Hopkins does not endorse the following resources, their services, nor any care arranged. This information is shared in our effort to provide information useful to our community.
- Khan Academy: Free Online Courses, Lessons & Practice
- Mental Health America’s Back to School 2021 Toolkit
- Care.Com’s Back to School Resource Guide for Parents & Caregivers
- Photomath App: Scan. Solve. Learn.
- Pupil Pod: Virtual or Face-to-Face Synchronous Learning
- Tinkergarten: Where Kids Learn Through Play
- Wyzant: Tutoring Services ($50 credit available through LifeMart)