Long-Term Disability

The university automatically provides Long-Term Disability insurance. You do not need to enroll in this coverage—it’s a 100% university-paid benefit.


To be eligible, you must have:

  • Completed one year of continuous full-time service at the university, or
  • Joined the university within three months of leaving another employer where you were covered under a similar plan for at least one year. You must submit documentation of this previous coverage.

About the Program

Long-Term Disability benefits begin after 90 consecutive days of absence and continue as shown in the chart below. The plan will pay 60% of your monthly base earnings, not to exceed $10,000 per month, for an eligible absence.

Maximum Duration of Benefits
Age When Disabled Benefits Payable
Prior to Age 60 To Age 65
Ages 60 – 64 60 months
Ages 65 – 67 To Age 70
Age 68 and over 24 months

Plan benefits may be paid after you have been unable to work for 90 days or when Short-Term Disability coverage expires, whichever occurs later. Accumulated vacation leave can be used to supplement the Long-Term Disability benefit. This must be requested in writing.

If your date of disability was prior to July 1, 2020, the plan will pay an extra 10% benefit to a TIAA Retirement Plan account as long as you receive disability benefits.  This retirement contribution will not reduce your monthly disability income.  If your date of disability was on or after July 1, 2020, the 10% retirement plan contribution will not be included in your long-term disability benefits.

View the Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Policy for Deans, Faculty and Senior Staff , Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Policy for Support Staff and Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Policy for LIUNA Bargaining Unit for more information.

View an Overview of Benefits for Long-Term Disability Participants to understand what happens to your benefits while you are on LTD.

How to Request

If you need to request a Long-Term Disability Claim, you will need to:

  • Contact your manager
  • Call Lincoln Financial at 1-888-246-4483 or go to www.MyLincolnPortal.com (register using company code JHUEE). For further details on how or when to report a claim, refer to Reporting a Long-Term Disability Claim

If you have questions regarding your leave of absence and FMLA, please contact your central or departmental HR office.