Course FAQs

How do I register for courses?

For most courses, go to the myLearning website.

If I want to cancel, what should I do?

You may cancel a course on the myLearning website. Please remember you will need at least one week’s notice. To cancel an enrollment:

  • Go to:
  • Log onto the system with your JHED ID and password.
  • On the Quick Links menu, select My Plan.
  • Locate the appropriate class. On the right side of the screen, you will see a red X – click on it. You will get a pop-up screen asking if you are sure you want to delete this item. Click OK. This will remove the class from your plan.

If you need to cancel less than 7 days before a class, please email [email protected]. We do make some exceptions such as medical emergencies, a death in the family, and other family emergencies. We will need documentation from your supervisor for approval.

Who pays for the courses?

Full- and part-time university faculty and staff are eligible for payments of workshop costs offered through Staff Development Remission. If you fail to comply with the policy, your department will be charged for the cost of the course.

I am registered for a class tomorrow that I won’t be able to attend due to a work emergency. Is there anything I can do so my department budget won’t be charged?

Departments may send a substitute if that person has the same learning goal as the original participant. Staff substituted must be in a similar position, have the same objectives for attending, and be otherwise eligible.

What are valid reasons for not attending?

Your department will not be charged in the event of a family member’s death, unexpected hospitalizations, automobile or personal injury accidents, and serious illness. Written documentation must be provided.

What if I have to arrive late or leave early?

The university’s normal business hours are 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. To allow for travel from your regular work location, training is conducted between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm (unless otherwise stated in the catalog). Please plan to arrive by 8:30 am to allow sufficient time to find a parking space, meet the instructor and your fellow students, clear your mind to prepare for learning, and receive your course materials.

Plan for mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks, to have an hour free for lunch, and for the course to run its full allotted time. Due to the disruption to the class and to the learning experiences of other attendees, participants who arrive late (in the morning or after lunch) will not be allowed to enter courses that are already in progress.

Leaving classes early means that you will not have the opportunity to gain all of the learning outcomes that were intended for the course. Furthermore, arriving late or leaving early, on your part will result in your department being charged for the cost of the full day of training. We design each of these training experiences to be a learning-filled day, and we ask that you plan your day to make the most of it.

Will food and drink be provided?

There is a canteen at Johns Hopkins @ Eastern where you can purchase food and drinks. East Baltimore has various places to purchase lunch.

Does the cost of the course come out of my Tuition Remission money?

No. Classes for which full- and part-time faculty and staff register and attend are charged to Staff Development Remission, a separate benefit from Tuition Remission.

Do I need to fill out the pink Tuition Remission forms?

No. Tuition Remission forms are not needed for these classes. All you need to do is register at the myLearning website.

I get an error message when I try to access a course in myLearning.

If you see an error message that says “This page will refresh automatically when the course window is closed,” then you need to disable your pop-up blockers. Click here for instructions.

I completed an online class, but the status still says it is incomplete.

If your course has an assessment associated with it, please send an email to [email protected]. In the email, please tell us the course name and attach a file with the certificate provided at the end of the assessment saying that you have passed.

If there is not an assessment, send an email to [email protected] and give us detail information with the name of the course, any errors you might have received, and what browser you are using, and we will help.

I completed a class, but it doesn't appear in my Learning History or my Learning Plan.

If your class is part of a certificate program (bundle of courses), follow these steps:

  1. Start on the myLearning home page.
  2. On the Quick Links menu, select My History.
  3. Look for the certificate name and click on it.
  4. You should now be on a screen that lists all the courses under the certificate. Look for the title of the class and see if the status is complete.

For all other courses please send an email to [email protected].

How do I print a certificate of completion?

Note that not all courses have a certificate of completion. To see if your course does, and to print the certificate, follow these steps:

  1. Start on the myLearning home page.
  2. On the Quick Links menu, select My History.
  3. Locate the appropriate course title and click on the View PDF link under the certificate column on the right side.

Note: if you need a certificate of completion for the Title IX course, please contact [email protected].

Who do I contact if I am having trouble with an online course (either accessing it or within the course)?

To get help with an online course, follow these steps:

  1. Start on the myLearning home page.
  2. On the Quick Links menu, select My Plan.
  3. Locate the course title. On the right side under the Provider column, you can see who the course provider is.
  4. On the Menu bar at the top of the screen, select Help, then select Course Provider Contacts.
  5. Search for the correct provider in the list, and use the contact information to reach out to them for help.

If your department is interested in training, please contact us at [email protected].