Even if your retirement is decades away, it’s not too early to begin thinking about it. JHU’s retirement plans reward you for your contributions and help you build toward future financial security, so the earlier you start, the better.
Your particular plan depends upon your job classification and hire date.
JHU Retirement Plans
Eligibility for the JHU 403(b) 4/8 Plan is based on your employment status.
Get plan details for:
- Support Staff who selected the plan as part of Retirement Choice or were hired July 1, 2009, or after
- Senior Staff hired July 1, 2011, or later
- Nontenured/Non-Tenure-Track Faculty and Non–Core Faculty hired July 1, 2011, or later
- Some Executives hired July 1, 2011, or later
The JHU 403(b) 6/12 Plan allows eligible employees to make pre-tax contributions and receive contributions to their plan from the university.
Get plan details for:
The Pension Plan—offered to support staff members hired before July 1, 2009, who selected this option during Retirement Choice and to bargaining unit members—pays a monthly retirement income based on length of service with the university, earning and salary history with the university, and age at retirement. In addition, eligible participants can make pre-tax contributions to the staff voluntary 403(b) plan and receive some matching university contributions.
Get information for:
The Income Deferral Plan is a 403(b) plan offered to residents, interns, and postdoctoral fellows who receive taxable compensation. Through the plan, you can make pre-tax contributions, and if you’re a full- or part-time resident or intern at the School of Medicine, you can receive university contributions to the plan of up to 1.5% of your annual base salary.
Support for Current Employees
To help you make decisions about your retirement investments, JHU has partnered with Marsh McLennan Agency (MMA), an independent investment advisor. Along with retirement plan advice and education, MMA can assist current JHU employees with other personal finance topics, including how to create a budget, plan for a big expense, and the best time to claim Social Security.
Through MMA’s Prosper Wise website, you can schedule time to meet virtually with a financial coach who is trained in financial planning. MMA’s coaches can help you understand how the changes to JHU’s retirement plans will affect you. They can also work with you to select investments that fit your individual goals and personal preferences. MMA coaches are licensed professionals with expertise in retirement plans, investing, and financial education. They’re unbiased and do not sell products or receive commissions.
Register below for a virtual session with an MMA Prosper Wise financial coach at no cost to you. During the 25-minute session, you and your coach can review your current investment portfolio, discuss your tolerance for risk, map out long-term retirement strategies, including rollover options, and much more.
Schedule a One-on-One Financial Coaching Session
Visit the Prosper Wise website, sign in, and click Talk with a Coach in the top right corner.
- Choose Retirement Plan to schedule an appointment focused on your long- and short-term financial goals.
- You can also access personalized advice on the retirement plans’ investment menus from TIAA’s financial consultants. Visit TIAA.org/schedulenow, or call 800-732-8353, weekdays, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
On-Demand Webinar Series
Learn more about preparing for retirement through this on-demand webinar series. Specially trained, licensed MMA financial coaches offer informative and interactive lessons, tailored to JHU’s retirement plans, that can help you progressively build your knowledge from foundational to advanced topics.
- Determining Your Goals, Needs, and Investing Preferences: Click here to view recorded webinar. Passcode: 4=x3uqa9
- Investing in the Markets: Click here to view recorded webinar. Passcode: LQ3c^9Q%
- All about Funds: Click here to view recorded webinar. Passcode: FR5pv!UE
- Building a Retirement Portfolio: Click here to view recorded webinar. Passcode: %l=v3qH@
- Annuities: Click here to view the recorded webinar. Access Passcode: =uS@d5kp
- Self-Directed Brokerage Windows: Click here to view the recorded webinar. Access Passcode: 3Sx9+E?!