Life happens. School closures. Sick nannies. Aging parents who need help. Pets who could use some mid-day love. Now you have help!
You may use Care@Work if you are full-time, benefits-eligible Johns Hopkins:
- University faculty and staff
- Postdoctoral fellows, residents, interns, and housestaff
- Doctoral and Medical students, and interns
- Hospital; Health System; Community Physicians; Health Care; Home Care Group; Home Health Services; Pharmaquip; Pediatric at Home; Bayview; Emergency Medical Services; Suburban Hospital & Physicians; Sibley Memorial Hospital; Howard County Hospitals & TCAS; or All Children’s Hospital employees.
Even if you’re not currently in need of care, we recommend registering with Care@Work through johnshopkins.care.com.
How to enroll in your family care benefits — Use your JHED ID, without @jh.edu, when registering.
Once you’re enrolled, you can quickly and easily access Care@Work’s offerings by calling 855-781-1303 to speak with a care specialist, on the website, or using the Care@Work app.
Vetted and subsidized adult and child care when your regular care is not available.
With kids, you need to be prepared for anything. From school holidays, to the nanny’s vacation, or other gaps in care, we have you covered. You have access to in-home or in-center vetted and subsidized care for your children when your regular care is not available.
Use Backup Care for children when:
- School is closed
- Your babysitter or nanny is sick or on vacation
- Your child is mildly ill or has a low-grade fever
- You have to work late or have business travel
- Daycare is closed
- You are working from home and need someone to watch the kids
Your benefit year:
January 1 – December 31
Backup Care days:
Up to 10 days per year
Backup Care rate:
Your cost for backup care is based on your salary, according to the following tiers:
|Your Annual Salary||Your Pay|
|$39,999 and below||$6 per hour|
|$40,000 to $74,999||$8 per hour|
|Over $75,000||$10 per hour|
|In-Center Care||$15 per child|
If you use greater than $5,000 in combination of Child Care Voucher, Dependent Care Flexible Spending, and dependent Backup Care benefit for any 12-month period, it will be applied to your wages, as required by the IRS. Adult Backup Care is taxable. In 2021 only, Congress increased this limit to $10,500 (or $5,250 for married individuals filing separately). JHU has decided to apply this new, higher limit to backup care, only.
Finding the right ongoing care for your family can be hard, especially when you’re balancing the demands of work. That’s why Hopkins provides access to Care@Work, the world’s largest online community for finding care.
|Use your Care.com Membership to find:|
Post a Job
Create a job post with a description of the care you’re hiring for.
Search and filter
Search and filter through caregivers in your zip code radius that meet your requirements.
Access our safety center at care.com/safety-center for tips and tools to hire safely.
How it Works:
- Log in to your account through johnshopkins.care.com or the Care.com app.
- Search for caregiver profiles that match your needs in your area, or post a job for candidates to apply to.
- You can schedule interviews from any device and request background checks. Once you’re ready to hire, you can schedule and pay for your
caregiver on Care.com.
- We offer tools and resources to help you hire safely. Learn more at care.com/safety-center.
Searching and finding the right care for your loved ones takes time, especially when you’re balancing work. With Expert Assistance, you have help! One of our Care Specialists can help you to find caregivers, daycare centers, pet sitters, tutors, and more – so you can spend more time with the ones you love.
Work with one of our Care Specialists to find the right care for your family. First, you’ll share requirements, budget, and other details for the care needed. Then, our Specialists will post a job and review results and applicants to provide you with the best options. After you identify a final caregiver, you may request a Criminal and Motor Vehicle Records Background Check before making the hire – at no cost to you.
Use Expert Assistance to Help You Find:
- Nannies and babysitters
- Pet sitters and groomers
- Personal assistants
- Caregivers for adults and children with disabilities
- Errand runners
How does it work?
- Enroll and login to your account in the Care@Work app or at johnshopkins.care.com.
- Call 855-781-1303 ext. 4 or email email@example.com to connect with a Care Specialist and get started.
- Please allow a few weeks time from beginning to hire.
Expert Assistance is a taxable benefit at the supplemental rate.
Finding the right child care option for your family can be overwhelming.
Many parents find that they have to decide between hiring a full-time nanny or enrolling in day care, with neither feeling quite right. Fortunately, there’s a middle ground that can provide a high level of personal attention along with the socialization benefits of day care at the right price: the nanny share.
HELPFUL RESOURCES FOR PARENTS & FAMILIES
- Equal Parts Podcast: This podcast is created by parents, for parents. Guests join Care@Work’s Emily Paisner to talk about their area of expertise in quick, 20 minute episodes. Available wherever you listen to podcasts. Guests include: award-winning psychologists and journalists, educators and NYT best-selling authors. Topics include: Screen-time during COVID, talking to kids about race and racism, talking to parents about finances, resilient children, meditation for working parents, pre-teens & quarantines and so much more.
- Care@Work Webinar Series: Subscribe to Care@Work updates and you’ll receive invitations to future webinars for working parents and families. Below are recordings of Webinars that have happened recently.
- Talking to Kids about Race and Racism with Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum
- Middle School Matters: Helping your Tween or Teen Through COVID-19
- Making Distance Learning Work
- Supporting Kids who Learn Differently
- How to Raise Kids to be Actively Anti-Racist
- “Sharenting”: Protecting your Kids’ Privacy in our Digital World
- Preventing Burnout During this Challenging Time
- Fair Play: Staying in Sync While Managing Work + Life
- Perfecting your “No-Guilt” No
- Resource Guides: These curated resource guides are updated regularly by the Care.com team. We encourage families to skim through and “bookmark” for future reference.