Did you know that when you experience certain personal events, such as getting married or having a baby, you can make changes to your benefits coverage? These are called “qualifying life events,” and they allow you to make a change to your coverage outside of annual enrollment. Learn more about Eligibility and Dependent Certification Requirements.
Qualifying life events can include:
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Gain or loss of other coverage
- Start or loss of your spouse/domestic partner’s employment
- Change in employment status (for you or your spouse/domestic partner, from part-time to full-time or from full-time to part-time)
- Divorce or termination of domestic partnership
- Death of your spouse/domestic partner or other dependent
- Leave of absence or sabbatical for you or your spouse/domestic partner
- Return from leave of absence or sabbatical
- Salary loss due to disability
If you experience a qualifying life event, you have 30 days following the date of the event to go to myChoices Health & Life, provide documentation of the event, and make a change to your benefits coverage consistent with the event. (If you give birth, for example, you may add the baby to your current JHU benefits plans.) Generally, the change is retroactive to the date of the life event.
Please select from the list of qualifying events below to learn more.